Beginning Hand Spinning: One Day Intensive
Sunday, May 22, 2016 1-6 PM. $95.00 includes fiber and drop spindle. With Dayna Mankowski and Mary Crosby. $20.00 deposit holds your space.
If you would like to learn how to create unique yarn for your knitting or fiber projects, this class is for you. This workshop will teach: why wool spins into yarn, how to prepare wool for spinning, how to spin on a drop spindle and a spinning wheel.
- Part 1: will teach the basics of fiber preparation, drafting and spinning on a drop spindle.
- Part 2: will teach spinning on a spinning wheel, an introduction to plying and finishing your skein. Equipment will be provided and studio time is included in the fee.
- If you have your own wheel, please bring it.
- Studio time=time to spin on wheels at Madison Wool; some wheels available for home rental
- There is a lot to learn in this class, and one of the advantages of our spinning classes is the array of spinning wheels you get to try (and buy!). Students will get to spin on different types of wheels by several manufacturers- Louet (Irish tension), Ashford (scotch tension/double drive/irish tension), Schacht (scotch tension), Spinolution (electric/scotch tension/different treadling system), and Majacraft (scotch tension). Having this variety is the best way to know which wheel is right for you!
- Students are always welcome back to try wheels and get spinning and plying tips and some wheels are available to rent ($25.00 per week).