We had a great time when Heather Lightbody came to town March 1-2, 2014. We spun, did some crochet, and ate. Lots of great food! Here are two requested recipes. Sorry it took so long, butplease enjoy !
***Gluten Free! Vegan! Delicious!!**
Persian Lentil and Chickpea Stew
Make on stovetop or crockpot. The spice blend is amazing, and will have even carnivores coming back for seconds!
- Olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups lentils (brown or yellow) (use canned lentils if time is tight)
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas (14-16 oz)
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons each of cardamom and coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups water
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or kale, chard....)
- Heat olive oil over a medium flame in a heavy stockpot. Add the onions and carrots and stir well. Heat until softened, about 5 min. (add splashes of water to prevent sticking instead of more oil).
- Turn flame to low, and add garlic and spices and stir well. Toast the spices for a few minutes, then turn into a crockpot (or continue cooking on stovetop).
- To crockpot- add lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and water and stir well with onions, carrots, and spices.
- Let cook over a low setting 6-8 hours, or 2-4 on high setting. If cooking on stovetop, cook until lentils and carrots are tender (about 30 minutes). Weeknight fast---use canned lentils instead. Add water as needed to make a nice stew. Stew tastes better when left to cook for a long period on low heat, as it allows flavors to fully develop.
- Right before serving, adjust seasonings and add the fresh spinach. Stir well, and let it wilt. Serve and enjoy! Tastes great alone, or can be served over rice.
These cookies are NOT gluten free or vegan, but are delicious.
SNICKERDOODLE SUPREME COOKIES- makes 2 dozen
- 1 CUP SHORTENING
- 1 ¼ CUPS WHITE SUGAR
- 2 EGGS
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 ¾ CUPS FLOUR
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 2 TEASPOONS CREAM OF TARTAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS WHITE SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON CINNAMON
- 1 TEASPOON NUTMEG
- In a medium bowl, cream shortening and sugar with a mixer. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Stir into creamed mixture. Cover dough and chill at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons white sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg (1 teaspoon each). Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place two inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes; edges will be golden brown. Remove from sheets to wire racks to cool.